Working at Home in a Dropship Business: A Juggling Act
To most of us who have dropped out of a 9-5 job in favor of working from home in an online dropship
business or other ecommerce enterprise, the rewards are plentiful enough to outweigh the constant juggling act of combining those two things: work and home.
While it’s wonderful to be able to work from the privacy and comfort of your own home…earn a very nice income while being your own boss…working your own hours….and all of the other perks and privileges that go hand in hand with a home business; the plain, unvarnished truth is that there are unique challenges to working from home not to be found in any other type of job.Click Here for a Free E-Book About Working From Home!
The very things that make working from home and running your ecommerce dropship business right there in your snug little nest absolutely fabulous are also the things that are most likely to come back around and bite you on the derriére.
Let’s look at a few of the benefits of working from home:
- No long, expensive drive or commute back and forth to work
- No need to buy pricey clothing that will only be worn to your place of employment
- No back-biting, too clingy or otherwise annoying coworkers around all day
- No grouchy, impossible to please boss or supervisor cracking the whip over your head to keep you working at top speed
- No expensive lunches to buy or grabbing $6 lattés 2-3 times a day at the corner coffee shop
There are a lot more, but those will do as examples.
Now, since we’ve peeked at some of the advantages of running an online dropship business from home, let’s see the flip side of that coin:
- No long commute or drive to work means you are prone to delay getting started or quitting earlier, telling yourself that you can do this because you have saved so much time on going back and forth to work now that it’s only a few steps away. Result: Lost hours when you could and probably should be earning money!
- No need to buy pricey work clothes means that you don’t have to wear them, either, while at home operating your dropship business. From there, it can be only a short slide down into the slothful habit of staying in your pajamas all day, which is detrimental to a frame of mind that promotes efficiency. If you look sloppy and ready for bed, it has a tendency to make you feel sloppy and sleepy. Result: You get less accomplished during your work hours.
- No irritating, brown-nosing coworkers around all day can mean total isolation if you not only work alone, but live alone as well. Before long, you may find yourself talking to the computer or arguing with yourself out loud about which Rambo movie was the best. Result: You become too much of a recluse and your joie de vivre suffers for it---along with your ability to play well with others---which spills over into your dealing with dropship customers and you come across as hard to deal with, costing you repeat customers and sales.
- No Simon Legree boss or supervisor screaming “mush, mush” and lashing you on all day is nice, but with nobody except yourself to monitor your work habits, it’s all too easy to become lax. Result: You don’t work as much or as hard and your dropship incomes suffers as a result.
- No buying restaurant lunches or nipping out for an expensive mocha caramel frozen whipped cream cappuccino is great and a big money saver. However, the down side to this is that being so handy to the kitchen and pantry means that you have unlimited, unsupervised access to snacks and goodies constantly. Result: Your weight soars, your health suffers, you spend less time working than eating and eventually, the acquired habit of eating every little while carries over into your after hours and night time routine and you morph into Snackula---creeping around in the dark, late at night while others are sleeping, looking for food to satisfy your unholy hunger.
So, as you can see…while the advantages of having a home dropship business are wonderful, you must watch out for the pitfalls waiting to ruin the unwary! Strive for a happy balance of work and personal pursuits while working from home and you’ll be fine!
If you liked this article, you may also like this one:
Why Dropshipping is a Great eBay Business