Home Business Tips: The Pros and Cons of Dropshipping on eBay
on eBay may be something you are considering if you want to start a home business. Looking at the pros and cons of this giant marketplace might furnish more insight about the advisability of using it as your sales venue.Click Here For a FREE eBay Dropshipping E-Book!
Although it has been a rough and rocky road on eBay for the past few years during the current CEO’s period of what he calls “disruptive change,” the fact is that eBay is still very much a power player in the world of online marketplaces, second only to Amazon. So, it is a fantastic venue for dropshipping sales and those who want to start a home business in ecommerce.Pros of eBay
Given that many, or even most, eBay sellers have been extremely upset by some of the new policies and rules, when it comes to pluses and minuses of selling there, there are quite a few benefits. Let’s take a look at some of the Pros to dropshipping on eBay:
- Huge amount of global traffic---eBay has a steady stream of traffic from all over the world 24/7. It would be virtually impossible for you to attract that much traffic to your own website. More traffic, of course, means more potential customers.
- eBay gives newbie entrepreneurs a track to run on. When someone is just getting their feet wet in ecommerce, learning all of the ins and outs can be a tad overwhelming. When you dropship on eBay, you have a clear path to follow and it’s therefore less intimidating and much easier in the beginning.
Cons of eBay
- You can generate income quickly---You can run auctions for as short a duration as one day, or go with Fixed Price listings that stay up and running all the time, making it possible for a buyer to click the Buy Now button at any time. So, you can list your dropshipping products on eBay and start getting money flowing in literally immediately.
Okay, now that we’ve examined some of the Pros to dropship selling on eBay, let’s look at the flip side of the coin:
- Lots of competition---Lots of traffic but lots of competition on eBay, too. It is highly unlikely that you will have the market cornered on whatever widget you are dropshipping on eBay, so there will be competition.
- Fairly hefty fees---Dropshipping on eBay is far from free, even though they do offer 50 free listings on a reasonably frequent basis for non-store owners. The ever increasing fees have led many sellers to nickname the venue “FeeBay.” So, there is a not insubstantial cost of selling on eBay.
- Unlevel playing field---While one cannot argue the theory that the buyers have to be protected, eBay has gone too far in the other extreme and basically throws sellers under the bus in their efforts to pamper buyers. While you can take many steps to protect yourself and your feedback, a lot of it boils down to nothing more than pure dumb luck regarding whether or not some unreasonable buyer trashes your feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings. The world is full of people with the dispositions of cobras and unfortunately, eBay gives them carte blanche to vent their general nastiness on hapless sellers.
So, as you can see, there are pros and cons to dropshipping on eBay but in the final analysis, the pluses really do outweigh the minuses and you can make a lot of money! Drop Ship Access has 1.7 million high quality products ready for you to start a home business in dropshipping on eBay, so visit now and get started!
If you liked this article, you may also like this one: 3 Tips to Make More Money in a Home Dropship Business