Dropship Secrets: How to Research the Plus Size Clothing Market
Would you be interested in dropship
secrets: how to research the plus size clothing market?
Actually, it really isn’t a deep, dark secret.
In fact, anyone with a little time on their hands and the desire to learn about the plus size clothing market can find out everything they need to know in just a little while, or a few days max if you want to research in depth.
The Plus Size Clothing Market
If you’re thinking about dropshipping plus size clothing, you’re already on the road to riches!
Okay, maybe not actual riches---but great profits and plenty of sales, anyway!
The fact is that millions of American women and other females around the globe are in the Plus Size category. There may be such a niche as plus size clothing for men, but it’s doubtful. Or at least, they don't call it that. So, for all practical purposes, this article will deal with plus size clothing for women.
Here are some interesting stats from Plus Model Magazine:
- Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.
- Ten years ago plus-size models averaged between size 12 and 18. Today the need for size diversity within the plus-size modeling industry continues to be questioned. The majority of plus-size models on agency boards are between a size 6 and 14, while the customers continue to express their dissatisfaction.
- Most runway models meet the Body Mass Index physical criteria for Anorexia.
- 50% of women wear a size 14 or larger, but most standard clothing outlets cater to sizes 14 or smaller.
And here is some more thought provoking stuff from RetailCustomerExperience.com
and the NPD research group:
- About a third of Americans are considered obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
- The average dress size has increased since 1960, from size 8 to 14 — generating a market for larger clothing and underwear that equals roughly $19.4 billion, or 18 percent, of the $108 billion women's clothing market, according to figures from NPD Group.
As you can no doubt plainly see, the demographics are on your side.
The market for Plus Size clothing is fantastic and presents an enterprising ecommerce entrepreneur with a rich and hungry niche teeming with potential customers!
So, how do you go about finding out which plus size clothing is best to dropship?
Researching Plus Size Clothing
There are a number of ways you can find out what you need to know about the category of plus size clothing to dropship.
- eBay Pulse
- Google AdWords
- Trade Publications
Of the three, checking the eBay Pulse and using the free Google AdWords tool is the easiest route to take.
With the eBay Pulse, you simply check it out for Plus Size clothing and then watch it for a day or so to see which particular items had more sales and made more money.
Using the Google Adwords tool, just enter the search term you want to research into the search box and you’ll get the number of monthly global searches for those keywords.
For instance, if you enter “plus sized lingerie” into the search box, you’ll see that there were 135,000 global searches performed during the past month. “Plus Size Apparel” shows 450,000 searches while “Plus Size Dresses” has a whopping 1.2 million!
The plain old “Plus Size” keyword phrase shows more than 4 million global monthly searches.
It’s a safe bet that any type of Plus Size clothing will perform well for you.
So, there you have the dropship “secrets” of researching the Plus Size Clothing market, now get in gear and get your online store opened, then wait for the sales to come rolling in!