Home Business Idea: Dropship Outdoor Home & Garden Products
Here is a really good idea for an ecommerce home business: Dropship
outdoor home and garden products!
One of the most crucial areas in an online home dropshipping business is your niche.
If you choose a niche with low demand, you may not be able to scare up enough traffic and sales to keep your home business alive and healthy. Choosing a niche with products in high demand, though, will definitely help you make your business a success and keep you earning a very nice income online.
Outdoor home and garden products is such a niche.
About Outdoor Home and Garden Products
This is a huge niche with almost infinite possibilities to drill down and cultivate a profitable sub-niche.
Here are some examples of popular dropship outdoor home and garden products that should perform well for you in an ecommerce home business:
- Mailbox Covers
- Portable Clotheslines
- Decorative Border for Flower Beds
- Seed Tapes
- Seed Starter Kits
- Potting Soil
- Wild Bird Feeders
- Wild Bird Seed
- Garden Tools
- Outdoor Garden Hand Tools
- Lawn Mower Covers
- Bird Baths
- Barbecue Grills
- Barbecue Tools
- Outdoor Flags
- And Much More
The above list barely scratches the surface! As you can see, trying to dropship outdoor home and garden products in their entirety would be a mammoth undertaking. In fact, just the SEO alone would be more than one person could manage on their own.
So, it would almost certainly be a wide move to develop a lucrative sub-niche and focus on it.
Sales Stats for Outdoor Home and Garden Products
The US Census Bureau published an interesting table of data concerning stats for the number of Americans who participate in some type of outdoor lawn and garden activities.
Take a peek at these numbers and bear in mind that these stats are from 2005 through 2010, so they are bound to be at least marginally different now.
- Total Retail Sales Gardening in 2010: Almost $28.409 million.
- Percent of Households Participating in Lawn and Garden Care: 68%
Allowing for a little difference one way or the other, it’s clear that with almost 70% of people in the United States participating in some type of lawn and garden activity, drop shipping these types of items would be a goldmine for an enterprising ecommerce entrepreneur!
But, remember, a lot of outdoor home and garden products are strictly pleasure and relaxation oriented instead of basically work related products used in lawn care and gardening.
Even those who love to work in a garden can’t deny it’s hard work!
According to a survey conducted by SportScanInfo for OIA VantagePoint and published online at Outdoor Magazine USA
as of July of 2012, there was a steady increase in spending for outdoor products. Here are some stats that might interest you:
- Retail sales of outdoor products grew 4.2 percent to $812.7 million in the fiscal month of July 2012, building upon a 3.2 percent gain in June.
- Specialty sales grew 7.8 percent with a nearly 20 percent increase in the Specialty Internet channel. Online sales made up 13.5 percent of the total specialty sales for the month.
- Outdoor Hardgoods sales increased 5.4 percent to $444.7 million with substantial gains in Bicycling and Paddlesports sales.
- Outdoor Footwear sales grew 4.1 percent to $220.7 million thanks to a boost from the Trail Running and Sandals categories and the consistent sales in Technical Hiking and Casual Outdoor Footwear. Declines were seen in Barefoot Footwear and Light Hiking.
There are a ton of outdoor home and garden products intended solely for leisure and recreational use! There are plenty of cold weather products within this category, too, and many of them would make killer Christmas gifts so you could get in on the holiday spending boom online.
Dropship home and garden outdoor products for a thriving ecommerce home business!