The Basics of SEO for Your Home Dropship Business
If you have, or are planning to start up, a home dropship
business online, you might benefit from getting a few tips about the basics of SEO.
Since Google rolled out the Panda and Penguin updates, many have wondered if SEO was dead and no longer needed. In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth. SEO is very much alive and definitely necessary for anyone who wants to be successful in ecommerce.
For those who are just starting out in ecommerce and a little vague about what SEO actually is, here is a great definition from that free and trusty internet encyclopedia, Wikipedia:
“Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine” natural" or un-paid ("organic") search results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search, news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
As an internet marketing strategy, SEO considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience. Optimizing a website may involve editing its content, HTML and associated coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines. Promoting a site to increase the number of backlinks, or inbound links, is another SEO tactic.”
So there you have it. SEO is vital to the success or failure of your home dropship business! Here are some tips for the SEO basics you will need to use to make sure your listings on Amazon or eBay---or your own website---are search engine friendly. Remember that the higher your ranking in search results, the more traffic will be driven to your dropship product listings.
- Interactivity: Although this may not seem to have anything to do with SEO, the fact is that online consumers these days want an interactive experience when shopping online and Google will reward you for providing it. Make sure your dropship website is interactive, fast loading, user friendly, and streamlined to the hilt for ease of shopping and buying, right through checkout.
- Panda friendly: The Google Panda update was engineered to penalize websites with too many ads and sales hype. For all practical purposes, Panda views everything on the web as either videos, blogs, and entertaining or informative content. This can hurt a commercial endeavor such as a dropship business unless you take steps to counteract it. One of the main things you can is to avoid excess sales hype and advertisements. Plus, give each product its own unique description. Don’t use pre-written descriptions from your product supplier as this will be duplicate content all over the web and Panda doesn’t like it at all.
- No stuffing keywords: In the past, black hat SEO and article farming which consisted of tons of content with no value whatsoever, just crammed full of keywords---was considered an okay way to get picked up by the search engine crawlers. Now, this is a huge no-no! Make sure to place your keyword into appropriate places such as titles and sub-headings, but other than that…..forget it as long as your content is about your keyword.
- Mobile friendly: Make sure that your dropship business site is friendly to mobile device shoppers and use SEO the same as on your regular site. According to Forbes, 50% of all internet shopping will be taking place on mobile devices within 3 years. You will score points with the search engines if you take this into consideration and make sure your site is mobile accessible.
- Penguin friendly: Stay Penguin friendly. This Google update will be your friend if you are judicious in who you link to and vice versa, use a variety of links, use social media to build links that happen in a natural manner.
These SEO basics can help to make your home dropship business the darling of the search engines and you’ll reap big rewards in terms of increased traffic!